School Group Visits
Who knew history could be so much fun! The Old Red Museum of Dallas County History and Culture sees thousands of students each year. Students walk through history while learning about the people, stories, and events that shaped the cities and towns that call Dallas County home. The museum places Dallas County in the national stories of early settlement, immigration, the Roaring Twenties, the Great Depression, World Wars, and the technology boom. The Old Red Museum is an exciting place to learn about regional Texas history from pre-historic times to the present day.
Explore Dallas County history from pre-history to present day!
Upon visiting the Museum, students will participate in many activities, including:
Museum Galleries – Four interactive galleries highlight the rich history of Dallas County through four theaters, 41 touch screens, more than 1000 artifacts, primary sources and photographs. Fossils, a high wheel bicycle, Clyde Barrow’s gun, a “roaring twenties” wedding dress, Tom Landry’s fedora and J. R. Ewing’s cowboy hat, and the Doak Walker Heisman trophy are only a few of the exciting items that can be found as students experience the museum.
Gallery Guide – Each student receives an interactive gallery guide to help make every Museum visit meaningful.
Children’s Education Center – A space specially designed for students of all ages, the Children’s Education Center offers unique hands-on activities, exhibits focusing on children in Dallas County over the years and twelve TEKS-based computer touch screens.
Discovery Carts – Theme-based discovery carts provide students with an opportunity to become Old Red detectives, play with historical toys and games, construct a Big “D” skyscraper or explore Old Red architecture.
Our exciting, curriculum-based history labs offer students of all grade levels a special in-depth experience highlighting specific themes from Dallas County history. Students can test their persuasive skills in our And Be It Resolved mock trial program, recount the fascinating history of the Dallas skyline in Building Big D or experience how inventions from Dallas County changed our lives in Computer Chips to Corny Dogs.
Click here to receive a free copy of Old Red’s Educator’s Resource Guide, a guide to all the programs and activities that the Old Red Museum has to offer you and your students.
How To Schedule Your School Group Visit
- Call 214-757-1925 to contact our Group Sales Department OR email us at email@example.com.
- When contacting Group Sales, please have the following ready to speed up your scheduling process: three possible dates, arrival/departure times, number of students and the program you would like.
More important information:
- Cost of Museum Visit: $4.00 per student or $80 flat rate fee for less than 20 students.
- Cost of History Lab (includes Museum Visit): $6.00 per student or $120 flat rate fee for less than 20 students.
- Allow 2 to 4 hours for your visit, depending upon the size of your group.
- Old Red REQUIRES one adult for every 10 students 14 years and younger and one adult for every 20 students 15 years and older. These adults receive complimentary admission and are expected to be responsible for students during the lab/gallery visit.
- Additional adults will be charged general admission.
- Your date will not be secured until we receive your signed contract. Note: If using Arts Partners funding: have voucher number and approval code ready and return signed contract to secure your date.
- For a planning visit, we invite you to see the museum for yourself free of charge. Just show your confirmation contract or the coupon found on the back of the education guide to guest services for the complementary admission.
*We regularly mail flyers and email the latest information on our educational programs. If you would like to be added to these lists, please email our Group Sales Department at firstname.lastname@example.org OR call 214-757-1925 and identify on which mailing list(s) you would like to be included.